July 11, 2023
How To Package Plants For Safe Shipping
Use this document as guideline to ship your plants
Shipping plants is actually easier than you think and quite common!
At Blossm, many of our community members ship plants all over the country! When in doubt, you can follow up with us directly via email firstname.lastname@example.org or directly in app with the verified Blossm account: @blossm.
👮♂️ Quick Tips To Avoid Scams
🚨 Never leave the Blossm app to chat, common things scammers will ask are "What's your phone number", "WhatsApp Me", or "Email Me"
🚨 If receiving or sending items via shipping, always use Blossm in app payment / ordering
🚨 If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is…
🚨 Never share confidential information with another person (i.e. shipping address (this is provided to the seller when an order is accepted), passwords, social security numbers, banking information, phone number, email etc.)
📝 Helpful Tips for Shipping:
- We highly recommend using "USPS Priority" at minimum, which will ensure the package arrives in 3 days and comes with insurance if the package is lost.
- You can upgrade to overnight if the weather is extreme or the plant is very delicate.
- Ship only on Mondays & Tuesdays to ensure your plant package doesn't get stuck over the weekend. (Wednesday can be ok too, depending on where the packages is sent)
- Communicate with your buyer when you plan to ship out!
📦 You'll need a few items before you start:
- Plastic wrap, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, newspaper, foam, or similar item
- Sphagnum moss
- Reflectix Insulated bubble wrap (Optional: For when it's very cold or hot)
- Find an appropriate sized box that will fit your plants without damaging them
- Use any or all of these packing materials
- Bubble wrap
- Packing peanuts
- Plastic wrap or similar item
- Pre-soak moss and lay out a piece of plastic wrap
- Submerge it in a bowl of water and thoroughly soak it.
- Then wring it out like a sponge
- Lay out a bed of wet moss, and put your cuttings on top of them.
- Add a layer of moss on top. Make sure the nodes and any roots are fully covered with moss.
- Tightly, but gently secure the wrap around the moss ball.
- Add packing materials for cushion below and above your plants
- Make sure it's a snug fit, so the plants can’t move around in the box
- Use packing tape to close the box, and bring your plant mail to the shipping carrier of your choice.